The website cartridgesave.co.uk, which conducted the analysis, has focused on studying the use of hashtags in Instagram posts, used to reference publications as being connected to a museum. Every post containing an identifying hashtag (such as #museedulouvre or #tatemodern) being added to the total tally.
Without much surprise, it's the Louvre in Paris that tops the list. Mona Lisa's full time residence registered over 4 million related posts on the platform.
Modern art fared very well too with the MOMA in New York and the Tate Modern in London coming in second and third place, accounting for 2,514,885 and 1,151,090 posts respectively.
1. Louvre Museum, France (4,029,777 #)
2. Museum of Modern Art, USA (2,514,885 #)
3. Tate Modern, UK (1,151,090 #)
4. Los Angeles County Museum of Art, USA (862,148 #)
5. State Hermitage Museum, Russia (836,395 #)
6. Metropolitan Museum of Art, USA (695,201 #)
7. National Gallery, UK (560,285 #)
8. Musée d’Orsay, France (488,477 #)
9. Centre Pompidou, France (476,215 #)
10. The Broad, USA (460,837 #)
11. Vatican Museums, Italy (460,374 #)
12. The Uffizi, Italy (439,831 #)
13. Victoria and Albert Museum, UK (436,974 #)
14. National Gallery of Victoria, Australia (403,432 #)
15. Whitney Museum of American Art, USA (334,100 #)
16. Somerset House, UK (249,247 #)
17. Tretyakov Gallery, Russia (243,542 #)
18. Van Gogh Museum, Netherlands (215,474 #)
19. Art Institute of Chicago, USA (186,228 #)
20. National Museum of Korea, Korea (167,990 #)